Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer Projects


So the kids are out of school, mom is on leave, dad's at work, and grandpa is playing on the internet! Kids are bouncing off the walls. Mom is cooking, cleaning, bouncing marbles around in her head and inventing new ideas to preoccupy this nest.

I got it! Lets make doll clothes! We found some left over fabric in my sewing box. Girls picked out which dolls they want clothes for and what kind of fabric they wanted to see. I asked them what kind of clothing they wanted and they said dresses! So guess what, They got dresses.

My two little helpers (5 and 6 years old) were following me around as I gathered old doll clothes for patterns, ironing the fabric and measuring my cut patterns. I used the same fabric that I used to make their dresses. So when they want to dress up. Their dolls will match them too! (Kids love that kind of thing)

These two dresses took me about 8 hours to make between the cooking and cleaning, but will last my kids for years!

 _________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
Next on our agenda...
 
Kids got to paint bird houses.
 
I found these bird houses on sale at Wal-Mart for $1 and change each. What a bargain for my little busy bodies! So I bought some paint (One wanted purple, one wanted pink, naturally, lol) for just over a $1 and some change each. Tada instant project for the kids to do for less than $5.
 
I admit the decorations cost $10 at Ben Franklins Crafts but that required hot glue, which my little ones are quite old enough to try yet. (Waiting for their elementary school class to help them master Elmer's glue first) 
 
But none the less this was entertaining to the kids, and they now have a new decoration that they "made" in their rooms
 
 
 
We had to let the houses dry before we could decorate them.
 
End results...
 
Jadenn's creation
 

Ashlyn's Creation (Below)


 _________________________________________________________________________________
 
Ok.... What to do now...
 
 
Ashlyn: Mom? I don't want bunk beds anymore
Mom: Uhhhhh...... okay :)
 
Tada! It's a good thing my husband built their bunk beds. He designed them so that we could separate their beds when we wanted to, or stack them when we need the space!
 


Their room before these photos was very plain. I have to admit I was not very proactive about redecorating their room until now. Mostly because I was gone in Iraq for some time when we moved here. But I'm home now and darn it we are going to make an adorable little girls room.


I bought the flower wall paper stickers at Target for $10 (Score!) Then while I was at Ben Franklin crafts picking up the birds for the bird houses, I saw they were having a %50 sale on Spring items! (Double Score) So I bought the girls some hanging Butterflies for their ceilings! We are going to spring in this room!

So far we decorated it with spring flowers and hung the butterflies. I'm waiting to pick up these adorable Curtains off Amazon to drape above their bed. To give a canopy effect.

 
Then since we are moving back to Washington next year, I'm going to get some energy efficient curtains and hang over their window. We live in Hawaii so blocking the cold is not the problem, but blocking the sun and heat. (Trust me the power bill for the A/C is just as bad as the power bill for the Heater).

So when that project is complete! I'll show you the updates! Comments and other ideas to share for their room would be amazing!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment